Week 3 of #CS4WDMS was a week of making connections. I am using the accelerated course in code.org, in which the students completed The Maze lesson, which consisted of 20 puzzles, and The Artist lesson, which consisted of 10 puzzles.
In The Maze, the object for each puzzle was to navigate the bird or zombie to the pig or sunflower. As each puzzle was completed, the next one was more challenging. Additionally, there were more difficult command blocks available as the students progressed through the puzzles. A challenge for the students was to complete the program using the recommended amount of command blocks. If the students used more than the recommended amount of command blocks, code.org did not mark the puzzle as completed. When I introduced the interface to the students, I pointed out all of the areas of the editor, including this information. I found they were conscious of the number of blocks needed to complete the puzzle.
Also, in The Artist, , the object for each puzzle was to use the block commands to trace over the specific shape(s) shown in the output section of the editor. In this lesson, pixels and degrees of an angle were the unit of measure being used. As the students progressed through the lesson, the shape(s) shown in the output section were more challenging than the previous puzzle. Overall, I found this lesson to be more challenging than The Maze.
As week 3 comes to an end, next week will be my last week with this group of students. I will be using Ozobots next week to expose them to more block base coding, Ozocodes, and more computer science concepts.
I am planning to implement different manipulatives to each group of students such as Ozobots, Bloxels, and Littlebits. Also, I will be alternating between code.org and CS First, but for now, I will be using code.org.
Stay tuned for my next blog post on my student's experiences using Ozobot. Follow my class on Instagram at Mrs.Mattina and follow #CS4WDMS on Twitter.