I had the opportunity to attend the TeachMeet NJ Conference at the Richard Stockton College on August 18th, 2014 and it was great! TeachMeet NJ is a FREE professional development un-conference that is offered once a year. Not only did I see a lot of my colleagues, but I learned so much from speaking with other people and attending their sessions. I also had the opportunity to present Google This Google That.
The sessions offered ranged from beginner to advance levels, and from gaming to Google Apps to social media, to flipping. It was great to have a wide variety of sessions available. Here are the sessions I attended:
- A New Dimension to Ideas - Drew Minock, it was about augmented reality and Daqri 4D Studio.
- Branding your school district - Joe Sanfelippo, it was about telling the story of your school.
- Flipping the Classroom with eduCanon - Robynn Hecht, it was about using video and student accountability.
- Virtual Worlds, Real Learning: Minecraft EDU - Jeremy Post, it was about using Minecraft in the classroom.
- Google This Google That - Kim Mattina, it was about using Google Apps and using it in your classroom.
- Social Media, The Good, The Bad and the E-Learning - Scott Rocco - it was about the benefits and risks of using social media in your school
- 20 Tools in 20 minutes - Will King, it was about 20 useful tools
Here are a few tools that I would like to share:
- Daqri 4D Studio
- Voxer - walkie talkie app
- eduCanon - student accountability using YouTube
- viewPure - removes ads and other distractions from YouTube videos
- alternativeTo - find a program that is similar to another one
- MinecraftEDU - gaming
- Wunderlist - a to do list
- Thinglink - makes your images and videos interactive
- TimeToast - an online timeline creator
- Cueprompter - online teleprompter
- Studyblue - digital flash cards
- Symbaloo - collects and organizes bookmarks
- coLAR Mix - takes pictures and turns them into 3D
I want to thank everyone at TeachMeet NJ, organizer, Kyle Calderwood, and co-organizer, Liz Calderwood, and many others for taking the time and dedication to organize this event. It was a great day of learning!