Purpose: The Read & Write Chrome extension, is available in the Chrome Web store, provides assistance in reading content on a Google document. The Screenshot Reader Chrome extension will allow you to capture a section of the text and read it aloud. It also allows you to create voice comments in a Google document.
Read & Write for Chrome is FREE for teachers!
- Create an account using your Google credentials.
- Users do not need to have the Read & Write extension installed to hear the comment.
Voice Comments - Easy as 1-2-3:
- Select the text you want to leave a comment on.
- Click the Voice Note Button from the Read & Write Toolbar
- Click the ‘Mic’ button to record up to 1 minute
- Click the ‘Stop’ button, then ‘Insert’
- Your comment will now be inserted as a link and can now be heard when you click the ‘Play’ button
Other Toolbar Options:
- Word Prediction - will display a list of predicted words, read aloud
- Dictionary - will read aloud the definition of the word and highlight it as it is read
- Image Dictionary - click and drag the image into the document
- Play - Read aloud and highlights the text as it is read
- Screenshot reader- crop out a certain portion of the content, it will read aloud and highlight
- Screenshot Reader Chrome Extension must be installed
- Speech Maker - Highlight the contents and it will download an audible file to your computer
- Screen Mask - uses a bar to help with concentration and reading the content
- Speech Input same as Google Voice typing
- Translate tool
- Highlighting tools
- Clear all highlighting on the document
- Collect Highlights - sorts information according to the color of the highlight marker
- Vocabulary list - creates a new document of your keywords
- Voice Note