When using Google Sheets for an online assessment, you can install an add-on called Flubaroo which will grade the assessment. It will create another spreadsheet with the grades, questions, and will allow you to email the students their grade. It is a powerful add-on and I highly recommend that anyone who is using Google Forms, try it out.
I am going to go over a few tricks of using Flubaroo that I recently learned. When creating your answer key, try using the following codes to allow more flexibility in student responses.
1. %or - Allows for multiple answers
Type %or in the answer key for a question to allow multiple answers to a question.
Example: Harrison %or Davies
2. %to - allows for a range of answers. (recommended for math questions)
Type %to in the answer key for a question to allow range of answers to a question.
Example: 31.4 %to 31.43
3. %cs - allows for case sensitive answers.
Type %cs in the answer key for a question to allow for case sensitive responses to a question.
Example: %cs Florida
4. FormLimiter is an add-on that will allow you to set a date and time to turn on and off a quiz, automatically.
5. Flubaroo will allow you to email students their grade.
6. Flubaroo will allow you to provide feedback to a certain question. In the grades spreadsheet, click on 'Add-ons', 'Flubaroo', and 'Edit Help Tips'. A row will be insert under the header titles or the question to allow notes or a link to be added. When the student receives the grade, they will receive the notes specific to the question. Any notes used in this option, the entire class will receive.
7. Flubaroo will allow you to provide student feedback. In the grades spreadsheet, click on 'Add-ons', 'Flubaroo', and 'Edit Student Feedback'. A column will be insert next to the student name. Type any feedback to the student in the new column and when the student receives the grade, they will receive their specific feedback. Any student feedback used in this option, will only be delivered to that specific student.
8. Flubaroo will allow you to 'Enable Autograde', which will automatically grade a response once the student hits submit.