Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Etiquette and Mystery Skype






During a TeachMeet NJ conference I attended this summer, I was lucky enough to attend a Mystery Skype session. The connection was with Paula Naugle @plnaugle, a 4th grade teacher, from Louisiana.   She participated in a professional development workshop for teachers at TeachMeet NJ and demonstrated how the Mystery Skype lesson is implemented.   I was intrigued to see how much the students were engaged with this activity.

I typed a document on Mystery Skype Information.  During my documentation, I decided to create a presentation on Video Call Etiquette for students to follow.

In addition, I am happy to say that I will be assisting with the implementation of a Mystery Skype connection in my school in October.   A 6th grade Social Studies class in my school will be making a connection to another middle school class in Iowa.

I will ensure the technology components of this lesson works successfully by testing the equipment (webcam, microphone, audio, projector), making a test connection with the other teacher, (without the students),  introduce video calls and  proper etiquette during, and introduce the student roles and responsibilities.

Please refer to the document and presentation.  I am happy to share these documents with you.  I hope you find them helpful.