Monday, June 15, 2015

Gamify your Training!




I am starting to rethink my professional development or training sessions thanks to +Alice Keeler.  Recently, I completed a Gamify Google Search that she has available on her blog, Teacher Tech by Alice Keeler  and I thought it would be a great idea to share this type of training style with staff at +William Davies Middle School.

In her spreadsheet, she has many tasks and each one is tagged by difficulty level.  This is a great way to differentiate the skill to the user.  In addition, each task is labeled with an agenda number, title, description, and a link to refer to for instructions.  

When the task is completed,  it is recommended that an  'X' is entered into the 'Check off' column to receive a badge. This is shown below.  



The Gamify Google Search learning goal is to learn how to search for information in Google Drive.  This included searching techniques using Boolean operators, quotes, filters, and more. +Alice Keeler even created a presentation on Searching in Google Drive.   Here is the template for the spreadsheet with the activities on it.  You can visit her blog about Gamify your PD.   I would highly recommend trying it.  I definitely learned a few tricks!  

Another great resource for Gamify Google Chrome training is from +Bob Petitto. He shared a Google Spreadsheet with me that included a 30 day Google Chrome Challenge.  He recommends that the user complete a task every day and at the end of the challenge, the user will receive a certificate of completion.

I will be adjusting my training sessions to include gamification!