Friday, August 7, 2020

Digital Wellness in a Remote Learning World

 

I am not a medical professional, just a technology teacher who worked 10-12 hours a day at home at the start of the pandemic using multiple devices at one time to support teachers and help them be successful in remote learning. However, I do feel that especially during the pandemic, digital wellness is more important than ever. 

In my opinion, we need to practice more self-care acts so that we avoid fatigue, burn-out, and the negative effects of screen time. Plus, not interacting with people normally, and not socialization with friends and teachers face to face can take a negative impact on a person too.

Pay attention to your body!

Again, it is extremely important to pay attention to your body while staying connected during the day. During my time working from home, I was experiencing the following:

  • headaches

  • eye strain or bloodshot eyes

  • back and neck pain

  • shoulder pain

  • discomfort in my hands

  • stiffness

  • fatigue

IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING ANY OF THESE SYMPTOMS, PLEASE TELL AN ADULT, PARENT OR GUARDIAN.

Here are a few tips I found worked for me:

  • Establish a routine

  • Have a dedicated and comfortable workspace

  • Take frequent breaks from the screen (look away from the monitor)

  • Dim the brightness of your screen to reduce eye strain.

  • Put your device in contrast mode so that the colors are inverted.

  • Ergonomics is key! Adjust your physical workspace so that you fit better into it. reference article

  • Get up from your seat and physically move around. Go outside for a quick walk or just walk around the house.

  • Meditate

  • Stretch, yoga, neck rolls, stretches with a band.

  • Set a timer for every 10 minutes to alternate a standing and sitting position.

  • Use voice typing tools when you can.

  • Powered off all my devices, including my cell phone in the evening. I needed time to disconnect from the tech totally.

Performing these steps and especially exercising helped with my pain and discomfort not to mention improved my mental health.

I hope you find this information helpful.